Friday, May 9, 2014

Slips Of Paper And Lumps Of Metal

Yes. It was the seaside.
I remember it oh so well. The waves were getting strong, and I was scared. I felt it was taking you away from me sooner than you were supposed to go.
Then you touched the tip of your pinky finger with mine, like you'd seen my girlfriends do with me. A "pinky promise." I was surprised. Guys rarely ever do that, and you were so strong, and manly and handsome.

But we sat there, throughout the afternoon till the sunset.
That was the last time I ever noticed the beauty of sunset again.
The sun gleamed like a gold coin rolling away from me. I ran to catch it, you ran behind me, huffing and puffing. You were exhausted, yet you didn't stop until I did.
The scary waters were now luring me in. You never minded my mood swings, after all, you could do anything in the world for me.
We waded in, ankle deep. I shut my eyes, and we crossed pinkies again. We stood there, perfectly in sync, connected, telepathic, until all my fears floated away with the water.

The wind played with my oh so frizzy hair, yet you told me I was perfect. You said they were "curly", and curly was beautiful and fun.
You said, I don't resemble those ice hearted popular girls that way. I was different, and that I should love being different.
You were forbidden cupcakes, yet you ate a big chocolate chip one with me, because you know eating your favorite dessert alone can be oh so bad.
I tiptoe, and kiss you on the cheek, your eyes twinkle. I beg you to come inside, but you don't, because Ma doesn't like you with me anymore. I try the horrid way out. I start crying and saying that you don't love me. I said all the promises you made were false. Your eyes widen as you watch me run inside my house. I just know you heard Ma, because she yelled oh so loud "Did he hurt you? You won't go back to him anymore, you get me?!"

6 years later, I remember each and every moment I spent with you, and I can only wish you could see me, hug me tight before I go to college and do the most unfamiliar things in life.
You were all the fun and excitement I had in my life, and my first friend. As I look in the mirror, I see my eyes shining, with tears, and I remember the stars we used to see in the water.
Because I remember running to the hospital, screaming, brushing past everyone, into your room. You were sweating terribly, and the AC was oh so cold. The mask on your face was so tight, it was leaving marks around your mouth. You started crying when you saw my face, for the first time ever, and you held my hand and said "I'm scared". 

I said, "Its okay, you'll be with me forever"
"I'm not scared of dying. I'm scared I have lost you. Will you forgive me?"
I laugh nervously " For what?"
"You remember.....that night, I didn't tell you....of course I love you"
I started crying again, then laughing, or both. " I wasn't serious. It was just a prank to get you to come in. I know you love me." Now I was crying bad. "I'm sorry. I let Mom keep you away from me, all these years, and now..." I choked, "now..."
I hooked my pinky around his tightly, as his pain passed. 

"I'll....always..lo..."
I cried till my eyes were all red and infected. He couldn't even finish what he wanted to say.
I don't remember much, it was this dark, distorted blur after that. I recall yelling at Mom, blaming her. I remember the inquest. And all the money he left me.
They say I'm some princess now, with all that money.
I look down at all of it.
It hasn't replaced you. It was supposed to.

You were worth more to me than some slips of paper and lumps of metal.
I'm not going to go on about what they can't buy me. They can buy me nothing I want.
I want my first hero. My first love. My first friend. My first pony. My first protector.
I want the thing I loved most in the world, back.
And I loved you, Dad.



1 comment: