Friday, April 25, 2014

Making Everyone A Bibliophile.

2009. Class 4. First Day.

Yay. A whole new class! I finally got a chance to make an impression. You see, when you haven't been in school since LKG like all your cool friends, it gets kinda difficult. Especially when you come from this really conservative and decent place, and here the 4th graders have already started talking about crushes and dating.
In class 4, we didn't really have the liberty of choosing our interest, as in ADMS. Art, Dance and Music. Yes, I have no idea what that S stands for.

We had one class every week of each of the things, excluding Art , that was double period. So while my young mind and bright eyes were devouring each and every space of my new school, I got to taste the best of all worlds before I finally made a choice in Class 6.
Yes, my heart leaped at the fact that we were allowed to issue and take our library books home. I had already started Blyton when I was in Class 3, you know, had visited a finer world than Ladybird.
Mary and the Lamb wasn't really much to survive on when I longed to read about Buster and Scamper.
Library sessions were quiet and boring, and I've always found that to be a mistake. The fun part about books is that its such a substantial and prodigious topic to speak about. Sharing your favorite bits with a wide eyed friend,  arguing on the protagonist's perfect love interest. Sitting quietly in the library, hiding all your smiles and snorts at the funny Asterix jokes, being constantly reprimanded, and the posters, did I mention the posters? All those sinister soft board posters, showing pictures of an angry book with a mean look, scaring you.

When I was a child, I, like many other children, had always wanted to grow up. Put on Mom's makeup, walk down the streets with a sparkling new purse and buying my favorite candies. I managed to fulfill that desire too, because you don't have to be a 40-year old to enjoy beautiful pieces of literature. You are always admired when you're well read. And as for those who call book readers nerds or geeks, I feel just sad for them.

 Over the years I have come across such wonders, The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch, Ostinato, 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher,The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, The Divine Comedy by Dante. They have changed the way I live my life, my priorities, my perspective. Yes, most of them are philosophical, but imagine the beauty when you realize they speak in your language. Things you understand and greatly admire. We all have lovely parents who can climb mountains of thorns probably to make us happy. They try to warn us, about the deceptively thrilling things in life. More then often I have found that even though I am against my mother when she tries to speak to me, when the same incidents and reasons are portrayed through a more fictitious yet real character in a book, I find myself nodding my head. Its something strange, the way books can be your best friend. 

They say your life isn't complete if you haven't completely and madly fallen in love with someone. I was lucky enough to experience that, too. I slowly found myself falling for Four's enigma, Jace's charisma and the dramatic flair in all the Agatha Christie villains.
Yes, it hurt when they met their "one true love".

I have been lucky enough to live in a world where books speak out to me, each and every redundant syllable. I have been lucky enough to have my heart race and feel adrenaline down my spine when an antagonist appears. I have been lucky enough to have found a perfectly enjoyable excuse to stay up late at night. I have been lucky enough to know the true meaning of the statement "Time flies". This was just my little attempt to share some of my luck with you.

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book"
 -John Green, TFIOS

No comments:

Post a Comment